This week I have a very special guest on the show who almost needs no introduction, Howard Lindzon. Who’s best known as the co-founder of StockTwits, but he’s a man who wears many hats, he’s also a trader, investor, hedge fund manager, entrepreneur and a rock-star angel investor.
So as you could imagine, I was thrilled to have Howard on the show this week. We spoke for around 50 minutes, and discussed the early years of his career (from the days of when he used to work in the back office of a brokerage firm).
We also covered Howard’s methodology around trading high growth stocks and the idea of ‘buy high, sell higher’, how innovative technology may revolutionize the landscape of trading over the next 5-10 years. And on top of this, we also talk about some of the angel investments that Howard has been involved with.
Now if you enjoy this interview, please go to chatwithtraders.com/itunes and leave a review. It doesn’t have to be anything major, even a single sentence would be a huge help (as it improves the CWT rankings in iTunes). I’d really appreciate this, and it’s the easiest way that you can support this show…
Lessons learnt in this interview:
- How your early exposure to risk, often shapes your risk profile and pain tolerance throughout your career as an investor or trader.
- Why it’s okay to sit on the sidelines, as this allows you more time to look at things and be aware of the “good pitches”, instead of trying to hack away at the market each day.
- Howard shares his methodology for trading high growth, momentum stocks. And a few tips for identifying stocks that may develop into big market winning trends.
- The reason why stocks that break into all time highs will often continue climbing higher, and some of the telltale signs that a trend may be coming to an end.
- Why Howard believes their are no experts in this business, and listens only to price, volume, and his own instincts around a catalyst.
- How the idea for StockTwits came about, and some of the ways that new traders can reap the benefits of this community.
- How the trading landscape may change for retail traders over the next 5-10 years as a result of revolutionary technology and innovation.
- Why your goal should not be to beat the market but to “destroy the market”.
- The first angel investment Howard was involved with, how he came about the opportunity, and what industries attract his investment to these days.
- Howard shares a few of the angel investment deals he let slip while companies were still in their early stages, which he now regrets.
- Plus much more…
Links and resources mentioned:
- StockTwits – As you probably already know by now, Howard was one of the co-founder’s of StockTwits – think of it as Twitter for traders and investors.
- RobinHood – Howard’s also an investor in RobinHood, a brokerage startup that allows you to trade without paying commission on your orders.
- The StockTwits Edge: 40 Actionable Trade Setups from Real Market Pros – A book Howard co-authored with Philip Pearlman and Ivaylo Ivanhoff (EP 024), the tagline sums this up perfectly.
- The Next Apple: How To Own The Best Performing Stocks In Any Given Year – Another book Howard co-authored with Ivaylo Ivanhoff, that will help you to identify stocks that have the potential to put in market winning trends.
- HowardLindzon.com – To learn more about Howard make your way over to his blog. He’s been writing here for 7+ years, so there’s plenty of article to dig into.
- @HowardLindzon – Be sure to follow Howard on Stocktwits, and say ‘hello’.
- @HowardLindzon – And of course, you can catch him on Twitter also.
Did you enjoy this interview?
- Please review the podcast on iTunes – the easiest way to show your support.
- Subscribe to receive a free guide and an email when new interviews go live.
- Post a comment below, what was your greatest takeaway from this interview?
- Share this interview with your friends and followers.