For this episode, we have our very first guest from Sweden—big shout out to Sweden!
I spoke with Mikael Syding; a value investor who spent 15 years in the hedge fund business, and in 2009, he was awarded European Hedge Fund Manger of the Decade before retiring shortly after.
During the interview, I ask Mikael to share his three greatest lessons for traders and investors, how he spotted growth opportunities, and I also ask him how his views on money have changed over the span of his career, plus a whole lot more…
All of this was great, but I have to say, my favorite part of this conversation was the last 10-15 minutes, where Mikael talks about artificial intelligence and technology becoming one with humans. It’s full on—prepare to have your mind blown!
“If you feel rushed, you’re probably late already.”
“Never go all in, you need to keep some powder dry.”
Lessons learnt in this interview:
- Mikael’s early years; selling computer games at 11yo, being the schoolyard hippie, and not taking education seriously until realizing a talent for finance.
- How he went from office ‘lunch boy’ to becoming a successful value investor and winning the award for European Hedge Fund Manager of the Decade (2009).
- Mikael shares his first major discovery of an investing opportunity in tech companies, and speaks about the role that luck played in supporting his idea.
- The top three lessons Mikael learned from 15 years of working within a hedge fund, involving; patience, risk management, and opposing information.
- How Mikael’s views on money have changed from when he first entered the world of finance, compared to where he’s at currently – retired from the industry.
- Today, why Mikael is fascinated by developments in artificial intelligence, and technological advances in singularity and transhumanism. You gotta hear this!
Links and resources mentioned:
- American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis – The book that inspired the cult film, and (in a weird way) it also inspired Mikael’s classmates to pursue economics.
- The Retarded Hedge Fund Manager – A free eBook created by Mikael, which details 50 lessons from 15 years as a hedge fund manager.
- Valuation articles and more – Here’s a link to an archive of Mikael’s articles about finance, investing and guides for performing company valuations.
- Boston Dynamics: Big Dog – Mikael mentioned the Big Dog when discussing AI, but in case you don’t know what that is, here’s a video of it in action…
- @TureMasing – This is Mikael’s Twitter handle, give him a follow!
Did you enjoy this interview?
- Please leave a 5 star review on iTunes to support the show.
- Subscribe to receive a free guide and an email when new interviews go live.
- Leave a comment below, what was your greatest takeaway from this interview?
- Share this interview with your friends and followers.