Jared Tendler is an internationally recognized mental game coach. His clients include world champion poker players, the #1 ranked pool player in the world, professional golfers, and more recently, traders too.
If Jared was to summarize exactly what he does (and what he specializes in), it would be; removing negative and excessive emotion from decision making.
So naturally, this serves as the underlying theme throughout our conversation, but we also discuss higher-level topics like; variance, the major crossovers between high-stakes poker and trading, how psychology has been oversold and when it really matters, plus how to identify various types of “tilt.”
Lessons learned in this interview:
- How Jared went from professional golfer to mental game poker coach, who helped his first client squash anger issues and make $600,000 in the space of four months.
- Jared explains the game of poker (for non-poker players), the various ways professionals seek an edge, and the dynamics they take into consideration too.
- The benefits of removing negative and excessive emotion from decision making, and the various exercises Jared uses with his clients to balance emotions.
- Tips for how to; study your own emotional reactions, recognise flawed patterns which can be corrected, and separate tactical errors from mental game errors.
- Jared fleshes out the seven types of “tilt” poker players and traders can experience, and when (in your career) you should begin working on psychology improvements.
- Pointers for how to maintain concentration, focus, and high levels of alertness throughout the trading day—especially important for short-term day traders.
“If you don’t understand variance, then you’re not understanding a fundamental business expense.”
Links and resources mentioned:
- The Mental Game of Poker, by Jared Tendler – This is Jared’s first book, which focuses mostly on mental game issues; tilt, anger, fear, motivation and confidence.
- The Mental Game of Poker 2, by Jared Tendler – This is Jared’s second book, which focuses mostly on peak performance, efficient learning, and decision making.
- JaredTendler.com – To learn more about Jared, visit his main website or click here to visit his dedicated poker website (where you can also listen to his podcast).
- @JaredTendler – Follow Jared on Twitter, and tweet him about this episode!
How to support this podcast:
- For a quick and easy way to support this free podcast, please write an honest review in iTunes. It’ll take you two minutes, and it helps massively—thank you.