Sheelah Kolhatkar is a writer at the The New Yorker, who was previously a journalist at Bloomberg Businessweek, and prior to that, a hedge fund analyst.
She’s also the author of New York Times bestseller, Black Edge: Inside Information, Dirty Money and the Quest to Bring Down the Most Wanted Man on Wall Street.
Of course, the most wanted man being referred to, is the ultra-wealthy hedge fund legend, Steven Cohen of S.A.C. Capital Advisors—someone who Sheelah has become very familiar with, through much of her own tireless and strenuous research…
Topics of discussion:
- The one time Sheelah met Steven Cohen—at a high-profile art auction where he intended to sell a piece, but instead, purchased a $141,000,000 sculpture.
- About Steven’s upbringing, education, first job on Wall Street and how he made millions trading the tape in newly formed options market (before forming SAC!)
- How a researcher at SAC befriended a doctor to access inside information about drug trials and profit, and the point when outsiders began to get suspicious.
- The fate of SAC and how the great insider trading investigation came to an end…
Links and resources mentioned:
How to support this podcast:
- For a quick and easy way to support this free podcast, please write an honest review in iTunes. It’ll take you two minutes, and it helps massively. Thank you!