Ilan Israelstam’s a co-founder of Australian ETF manager BetaShares and a principal at VC firm Apex Capital Partners. Betashares begun trading in 2010, and currently, it manages approximately $10-billion dollars in assets, across 61 funds—all of which trade on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX).
The motive in asking Ilan to be on the podcast was to learn more about how ETF managers operate and to delve into some of the technical aspects of ETFs. In summary, the topics we cover: risks for ETF managers, how ETF managers make money, the necessity of designated market makers, how ‘short’ and ‘leveraged’ ETFs trade as intended, tips for investing in ETFs and researchable ideas for trading ETFs.
Links and resources mentioned:
- @Ilan_I [Twitter]
- The Key Players in an ETF: A Refresher [Betashares]
- Bear Funds – Some Questions Answered [BetaShares]
- ETF Liquidity in Action: A Real World Example [BetaShares]
- Dealing with Time Zones: Pricing International ETPs in Australia [BetaShares]
- BetaShares Changes Investment Strategy for Oil Amid Price Collapse [ETF Stream]
- BetaShares [Facebook Page]
- @BetaShares [Twitter]
- BetaShares [LinkedIn]