Deep in debt after finishing Architecture school, David Capablanca, originally from Miami and host of the Friendly Bear Podcast, desired an alternative career with independence, freedom and potential for high earnings. Naturally drawn to a contrarian psychology, he zeroed in on short selling. The challenge of uncovering scams through a deep dive into company fundamentals, history of founders and visiting company headquarters overseas on a quest to find clues were the things that energized David and brought his trading approach to a whole other level.
Let’s go on a “short” adventure with David today!
Trading in the financial markets involves a risk of loss. Podcast episodes and other content produced by Chat With Traders are for informational or educational purposes only and do not constitute trading or investment recommendations or advice.
Topics & Timestamps:
Please note: Exact times will vary depending on current ads.
- 0:00 Background
- 5:30 What attracted David to Short selling
- 7:45 Focusing on frauds
- 9:55 Why he focuses on the OTC market
- 11:11 Institutional ownership influences his decision to short
- 12:48 Early challenges trading the markets
- 15:48 Groups which write short reports
- 17:42 Investigation of Marijuana company reveals fraud
- 23:00 How to find the scams to short
- 25:10 Shorting the scam after his visit to the overseas company
- 26:55 How difficult is it to find shares to short?
- 28:55 Fees associated in shorting a stock
- 33:10 How often can he find scams?
- 34:10 Shorting the Meme stocks and sympathy plays
- 37:07 Staying away from highly shorted stocks
- 40:10 Mechanics of a short squeeze
- 42:48 Story of HKD spectacular rise and collapse
- 47:40 How to track short interest on a daily basis
- 51:20 Forced buy-ins
- 53:30 What David looks for in the charts when shorting
- 56:55 What David struggles with the most
- 58:20 Goals
- 59:45 How to get in touch with David
Links & Resources
- @reverse_long [Twitter]
- The Friendly Bear Podcast [YouTube]