All episodes of Chat With Traders x Quantopian mini-series are available here.
Machine learning is a hot topic right now, with a lot of people wondering how it could be used in finance and trading. Used naively, machine learning poses a great deal of risk. We’ll discuss why that’s the case and also some good ways to use it carefully.
Sponsored by DataCamp:
- Learning to code can be challenging, but with A-grade courses at your fingertips, things are a whole lot easier. Visit DataCamp.com, start today—sign up for free!
Topics of discussion:
- What is machine learning and how is it used in everyday life?
- Supervised vs unsupervised machine learning, and when to use each class.
- Does machine learning offer anything more than traditional statistics methods.
- Good (and not so good) uses of machine learning in trading and finance.
- The balance between simplicity and complexity.
“We generally want general models that are relatively simple, and explain as much information as possible, with as few terms as we can.” – Max Margenot
Links and resources mentioned:
- Dr Andrei Kirilenko
- Machine learning (Quantopian forum)
- Machine learning as a factor (Quantopian forum)
- Andrew Ng
How to support this podcast:
- For a quick and easy way to support this free podcast, please write an honest review in iTunes. It’ll take you two minutes, and it helps massively—thank you.