You may recall for episode 25 I invited Zach Hurwitz back onto the podcast (after being a featured guest on episode 011), to grill me about my own trading progress – well we’re another 25 episodes on now, so I thought it’d be a good point to check in with you and give another update on how I’m tracking…
To do this, Zach joins me again for the big 5-0 – the first part is mostly Zach asking questions for me to answer, then we switch it up, and during the later part I fire questions at Zach to answer. We dive into a bunch of great topics (many listed below).
Just to add on this – pretty much every question asked during this episode has been crowd-sourced, so if you contributed a question last week, then there’s a good chance you’ll hear it asked at some point.
Two things you should know:
- Zach is offering a FREE 30 minute, one-on-one coaching session to any trader listening who is, of course serious, and feels as though they could really do with some help. This is a very generous offer, and if you’d like to take him up on it – then send Zach an email, his address is [email protected]
- And second, if you have any questions or comments for Zach or myself, scroll to the bottom of the page and drop a line in the comments area – both Zach and I will be keeping a close eye to respond and interact with you.
Topics discussed during this episode:
- Zach asks me to give a thorough update on my own trading development and progress, going into algorithmic trading.
- The commonalities between many of the traders I’ve interviewed, and a few key realizations from the past 25 episodes which stay on my mind.
- How your beliefs change between knowing nothing about markets, to knowing significantly more (with the added benefit of real experience).
- Tips and pointers for effective journaling practises and review – what you should include beyond the prices you buy and sell.
- A guide to structuring your study in the early stages of your trading career, and what to do if you have limited resources, i.e. time and/or money.
- Zach speaks about what he ‘stopped’ doing to become profitable, rather than what he ‘started’ doing to become profitable. Take note!
- How to find stocks that match your criteria, and the three layers of scanning you need to understand: Universals, Conditions & Triggers.
- What markets are best suited for VWAP, and even though it’s often used intraday, Zach shares how this institutional indicator can be used across multiple timeframes.
- How to think about your exit strategies (getting out of positions), and the benefit of being very clear on what type of trader you are.
- Plus, so much more…
Links and resources mentioned:
- Full list of previous CWT episodes – There were many past episodes and guests mentioned during this discussion, you can find links to all of them right here.
- The Numbers You Wish You Knew About Your Own Trading – Zach brought up the topic of Monte Carlo simulation, if you’d like to learn more about it I encourage you to read this brilliant article by Fil Lorinc.
- Codecademy: Python – In my effort to learn the programming language Python, this was one of the courses I found very helpful; it’s totally free and the interactive aspect is great.
- Udemy: Complete Python Bootcamp – Another great course for learning Python, while it covers similar ground to the Codecademy course the different delivery format helps to drive home the foundations of this language.
- Reminiscences of a Stock Operator– Referenced by Zach, the semi-fictional biography of legendary trader, Jesse Livermore by Edwin Lefevre.
- Why Most Traders Never Succeed – Zach is one of 18 traders featured in this premium CWT eBook, explaining the key reasons why most never hit the big-time.
Connect with Zach Hurwitz:
- [email protected] – To setup a FREE 30 minute, one-on-one coaching session with Zach send him an email at this address.
- @ZachHurwitz – Be sure to follow Zach on Twitter, he assures us he’s becoming much more active…
- TheVWAP.com – While this is still a work in progress, it’s home base for Zach, and you can find a bunch of links and resources on his website.
Connect with Aaron Fifield:
- [email protected] – If for any reason you’d like to drop me a line, you can catch me at this email address.
- @ChatWithTraders – Make sure you follow CWT on Twitter, I often recycle past interviews and share anything I find interesting.
Did you enjoy this interview?
- Please leave a 5 star review on iTunes to support the show.
- Subscribe to receive a free guide and an email when new interviews go live.
- Got a question or a comment? Post below, Zach and I will be watching this space.
- Share this interview with your friends and followers.